By: Stylist Melissa Lynn
Who said you have to follow any rules in fashion, anyways? They are more like guidelines gathered by a select skilled group (You’ve seen the Devil Wears Prada, I assume) who take inspiration from cultures and the lifestyles we live from the streets and cities beyond each season to create a trend or looks.
We say, find a signature style that’s yours by collecting from the places you’ve been and adventures you’ve had (or going to) with local items along the way. Or, when not traveling know what to wear, wherever you go.
Prepare to carry over any of these styles in your carry-on to 2016!
Highlights of 2015 trends that are wear-anywhere-ready will get you going in the right direction. We’ve seen these styles and accents in seasons’ gone so save your pennies and pick these styles to pack into the new year.
Not So Basics Plain, Plaid and Pleats
Last year, we saw a lot of monochromatic looks (think 50 shades of gray tones), mixed prints and sharp silhouettes. This year, you can roll up your sleeves and redux with the best of the white (shirt/blouse), extend and expand with plaid and tighten your waistline with a knife pleat for basic added detail for mix and match, easy pack.
1. Oversized Cotton 2. Wrap Blouse 3. Checked Bow Blouse 4. Anglomania Print Skirt 5. Jerry Pleated Skirt 6. Sea Bleached Pleated Skirt 7. Plaid Blend Coat 8. Silk Organza Dress
It was all about the bling in 2015. From costume jewelry, statement pieces like skinny scarves and fur (faux) trimmings, now we see comfort and quirkiness all day – the return of the pompom, remaining mule shoe and pj’s in the daytime; that’s multipurpose packing — A little space with a big style statement.
1. Kailua Beach Basket 2. Jocelyn Keychain 3. Sass Baseball Cap 4. Jenni Kayne Leopard Mule 5. Adrienne Vittadini Heba Mula 6. Embellished Satin Mules 7. FRS Printed Trousers
The fringe was in from 70’s style to boho chic so don’t yet retire this style. 2016 is packing more fringe from velvet to suede in coats, dresses down to the bags and shoes! It’s the simple details that sometimes add the biggest flair.
1. Scarf 2. Faux leather Tassel Tote 3. Sassy Sandals 4. Livia Midi Dress 5. Tassel Faux Leather Waist Belt 6. Fringe Slides 7. Drop Earrings
PYOP (Pack Your Own Pop)
Every summer and/or vacation time, we countdown to the reveal: which bright colors and pieces we’ll pack to match. For the weekender traveler, bringing a handful of items is all we have to work with so why not pack the pop. This year’s color is ORANGE ! Mix in with florals, denim and sneakers for easy matching.
1. CB Station Canvas Weekender 2. Gold Design Scarf 3. Cotton Match Skirt 4. Smooth Tank 5. Obin Ankle Sandal 6. Mason Dress 7. Joshua Sanders Hat 8. Eve Bikini 9. Pleated Shorts 10. New Balance 696
Office and Out!
Suits and Sets-Oh My! A lightweight way to tiptoe into trendy this year is with this androgynous and versatile street style. Plus, the layer and switch options while packing and prepping multiple looks make this easy breezy – your complete packing map from the office to the airport and back to the office by Monday!
Pair the blazer with jeans/skirt/dress, the slacks with a tank and flats to dress up and down you any suit set.
1. Max Mara Suit 2. Gigue Jeans Shirt 3. Grenadine Boot 4. Street Level Strap Bag 5. Le Suit 6. Le Weekend 7. Melinda Cami 8. Alexa Chung AG Jeans 9. International Nike 10. Sole Society Weekender
Last but not least! Shopping and planning what you wear, and where, is not only a good look but will save you big bucks! Score all-in travel and multipurpose packing tips and trips to save time AND money for more fun, fashionably.
*All stock and availability above may vary so book and buy now or find similar items and style inspiration here: Stylist Melissa Lynn
Stylist Melissa Lynn has more than 15+ years in the industry with a degree in Merchandise Marketing from the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising. SML has styled television appearances and music videos, viral and print advertising campaigns, red carpets, editorial shoots + look books.
Her work has been featured on major television shows and publications like Cosmopolitan, Dazed Magazine, LA Times, MTV and she contributes expert opinion for fashion news leaders such as Luxury Daily and TheHauteMess.com.